The Export Market Development Grant (EMDG) scheme is a program funded by the Australian Government to assist businesses with the export of products or services overseas. The scheme encourages small and medium businesses within Australia to build export markets and reimburses up to 50% of eligible export promotional expenses above $5,000. The maximum grant is $150,000, subject to funds available in the scheme.
To qualify for the grant you must firstly be an Australian individual, partnership, company, trust or association. Other criteria include:
- Annual business turnover must not exceed $50 million.
- At least $15,000 has been spent on 'eligible export expenses'.
- The business is the principal exporter and not operating via an agent.
- The business has actively promoted goods and services within overseas countries.
Not all goods and services can access the EMDG grant. The product being exported must be one of the following:
- A good produced within Australia.
- A good made outside Australia but Australia will primarily benefit from its overseas sales.
- Services except those specified as ineligible in the EMDG Regulations.
- Tourism services.
- Conferences and events held within Australia.
- Intellectual property that primarily resulted from work done in Australia.
- Costs of maintaining an overseas representative.
- Marketing consultant expenses.
- Marketing related travel expenses.
- Product sample costs.
- Cost of trade fairs, in-store promotions and similar activities.
- Promotional materials and advertising expenses.
- Costs of bringing potential buyers to Australia for an approved export promotion purpose.
- IP Registration and related insurance expenses.
However, there are caps on the amount of expenditure you can claim for each of the above categories.
If you think your business might be eligible for the EMDG scheme, please contact Brentnalls SA. We can provide assistance with your application if you plan to self-lodge or put you in touch with a consultant approved under the EMDG Consultant Quality Incentive Program.
If you would like to print this information please click here for PDF format.
The information provided in this information sheet does not constitute advice. The information is of a general nature only and does not take into account your individual situation. It should not be used, relied upon, or treated as a substitute for specific professional advice. We recommend that you contact Brentnalls SA before making any decision to discuss your particular requirements or circumstances.